Tour Series: Waste Reduction, Reuse, and Recycling Facilities in NYS
Tour 1: Watertown, NY Area - August 4, 2016
Tour 2: Albany, NY Area - August 12, 2016
Tour 3: Buffalo, NY Area - August 25, 2016
Tour 4: Ithaca/Elmira, NY Area - September 22, 2016
Tour 5: Rochester, NY Area - November 17, 2016
About the Tours:
The Syracuse University Environmental Finance Center (SU-EFC), in collaboration with the New York State Association for Reduction, Reuse, and Recycling (NYSAR³), is excited to announce a special series of tours taking place this summer and fall. The tours will highlight New York State sustainable materials management (SMM) operations including materials recovery facilities, composting facilities, anaerobic digestion systems, reuse centers, and more!
At each facility, you will get a first-hand look at how discarded materials such as recyclables, construction debris, food scraps, textiles, and more are diverted from the waste stream and given a second life. Follow tour guides to learn about day-to-day facility operations, as well as their unique challenges and successes. Network with fellow attendees and materials management professionals. And, glean insight and inspiration for SMM opportunities to foster in your own community to improve your local environment and economy.
Tour 1 – Watertown, NY Area (Region: NYSAR³ Chapter 6)
Thursday, August 4, 2016 | 9am-4pm
– Thousand Islands Area Habitat for Humanity Warehouse
– Fort Drum Composting Facility
– Watertown Urban Mission
– Jefferson County Transfer Station
* The bus will leave promptly at 9am for the first tour stop. Please meet at the Salmon Run Mall by the main entrance to Sears.
Tour 2 – Albany, NY Area (Region: NYSAR³ Chapters 4 & 5)
Friday, August 12, 2016 | 8:30am-3:30pm
– County Waste & Recycling MRF
– Radix Ecological Sustainability Center
– Habitat for Humanity Capital District ReStore
– Wagner Farms anaerobic digestion system
* The bus will leave promptly at 8:45am for the first tour stop. Please meet at the Defreestville Park & Ride.
Tour 3 – Buffalo, NY Area (Region: NYSAR³ Chapter 9)
Thursday, August 25, 2016 | 9:00am-3:30pm
– CJ Krantz Organics
– Buffalo Recycling Enterprises
– Quasar Anaerobic Digestion System
– Reuse Action
* The bus will leave promptly at 9:15am for the first tour stop. Please meet at the Walden Galleria Mall near the east entrance to Macy’s.
Tour 4 - Ithaca/Elmira, NY Area (Region: NYSAR³ Chapter 7)
Thursday, September 22, 2016 | 9:00am-3:00pm
– Tompkins County Recycling & Solid Waste Center
– Ithaca ReUse Center
– Food Bank of the Southern Tier
* The bus will leave promptly at 9:15am for the first tour stop. Please meet at the Ithaca Mall near the entrance to Dick's Sporting Goods.
Tour 5 - Rochester, NY Area (Region: NYSAR³ Chapter 8)
Thursday, November 17, 2016 | 9:00am-3:00pm
– St. Pauly Textile
– Casella’s Ontario County MRF
* The bus will leave promptly at 9:15am for the first tour stop. Please meet at the Canandaigua Park & Ride.
ADDITIONAL TOUR DATES COMING SPRING AND SUMMER 2017!
Cost: $15/person (NYSAR³ member registration is complimentary. Please use the coupon code NYSAR3 at checkout.) Lunch will be provided with your registration. To pay by check, use the coupon code CHECK. Please bring your check the day of the tour.
Transportation: Bus transportation will be provided with your registration.
Who Should Attend: Materials management professionals, municipal representatives, staff from non-profit and for-profit organizations, educators, and others are encouraged to attend.
Contact: Jesse Kerns, SU-EFC
firstname.lastname@example.org | (315) 443-8488