Green School Grant Program
The NYS Association for Reduction, Reuse & Recycling (NYSAR3) established a grant program for public and private schools Grades K-12 in 2005 for the purpose of providing seed, or start-up money for recycling/waste reduction programs in public and private schools. Since that time, nearly ninety (90) NYS schools and/or school districts have benefitted financially from the program, to say nothing of the environmental benefits achieved by instituting recycling/waste reduction programs in schools.
The Board of Directors of NYSAR3 has voted to continue the program and encourages schools to apply for funding. The Board strongly recommends that prospective applicants first visit the following sites which will provide viable, sustainable ideas for successful programs:
- NYS Association for Reduction, Reuse & Recycling ~ www.nysar3.org
- Go Green Initiative ~ www.gogreeninitiative.org
- US Green Building Council, NY Chapter ~ www.greenupstateny.org
- Green Schools, Recycling and More via NYS DEC ~ www.dec.ny.gov/chemical/8803.html
The Board strongly encourages all applicants to reach out to their Town/County/Authority Recycling Coordinator (list found on www.nysar3.org) for help in developing programs and developing strategic partnerships with local businesses, parent organizations, other institutions, etc. to help maintain waste reduction, reuse and recycling programs at schools.
The goal of this grant program is to provide up to $500 per school to rejuvenate existing programs or to develop new programs centered around the 3 R’s (reduce, reuse, recycle). Awards will be made twice yearly; this is a competitive grant so imagination, ingenuity and initiative are valued.
If you have received a $500 grant previously, you are currently ineligible.
All public and private schools Grades K -12 in New York State are eligible to apply for funding. Applicants and programs must:
- Be a public or private school Grades K-12 located in New York State.
- Agree to share their program information and data with NYSAR3and others.
SUBMITTALS AND DEADLINE
Application packets must include all of the following 3 items:
1. Application Form (1 page) (see page 4)
2. Written Project Description (1 page or less) (see page 2 for requirements)
3. Supporting Documentation (if any, but no more than 3 double-sided pages)
Electronic submittals are preferred and fully acceptable.
Spring 2017 Application Available now: Apply Today!
Please submit completed applications to:
NOTE: You should receive an email confirmation within a few days of submittal. If not, we have not received your application!
1971 Western Avenue, Suite #1180
Albany, NY 12203